Two weeks ago, we offered a number of ways that you could help the victims of Hurricane Harvey in Texas–and you, the people of Massachusetts, and our own beloved patrons, responded.
As the Boston Globe reported, Boston City Hall was buzzing with people walking in off the streets with donations that ranged from 200 t-shirts, to boxes of diapers and formula, to change from piggy banks. Here in Peabody, the donation portal for Hurricane Harvey relief is still active via the City Hall Website (the first option on this page will take you to the donation portal).
Now, there is more need from our friends in Florida and the US Virgin Islands. These are early days as yet, and the total damage from Hurricane Irma, which is still winding its way up the eastern seaboard, has yet to be fully assessed. Nevertheless, there are people and organizations already doing good in the communities hardest hit by this storm, and they need your assistance.
Here are a list of charities, programs, and organizations that are active in the Florida and US Virgin Islands communities that are currently accepting donations. If you are in a position to help financially, you can click on any of the links to see the charities. Please avoid sending clothes, toys, or perishable items at this time, as there are few places to receive or store it. The New York Times has produced a helpful article on how to help, and how to avoid scams.
If this is not a time you are able to help, please don’t worry. Rebuilding in a process that takes years and years, and there will be any number of ways to help in the future. We will be sure to keep you updated about them as news and opportunities become available.
- Feeding South Florida
- Florida Disaster Fund
- Global Giving: Hurricane Irma Relief Fund
- International Relief Teams
- MedShare (Also assisting with Hurrican Harvey relief efforts)
- Miami Diaper Bank
- Portlight Inclusive Disaster Strategies (Also assisting with Hurricane Harvey relief efforts)
- Red Cross . There is also an emergency need for blood and platelet donations. Click here for local Red Cross offices if you are willing and able to donate.
- Save the Children: Hurricane Irma Relief Fund
- SPCA Disaster Relief Fund (Also assisting with Hurricane Harvey Relief)
- St. John Rescue
- St. John Community Foundation
Thank you in advance for your generosity, your kindness, and any good wishes or kind thoughts you are able to share.
We are all made of stars. It’s time to shine.